The Derby Summer House at Glen Magna Farms was built in 1794 by architect Samuel McIntire for Elias Derby of Salem, Massachusetts. The two-story, Federal-style tea house is considered one of the oldest surviving examples of this style, and is on both the National Register of Historic Places and the Massachusetts Register of Historic Places.
With a grant for emergency repairs from the Massachusetts Historical Commission, Gienapp Architects addressed urgent structural issues and repaired the building to reinforce the structure and halt deterioration. We repaired timber framing of the building, and where necessary, replaced the original timbers with reproductions of the same style. The cedar shingle roof was replaced, and flush-board siding, roof eaves, windows, shutters and decorative moldings were repaired. Steps were taken to better weatherproof the building in order to prevent future deterioration.
The Beverly Golf and Tennis Club building was constructed in 1910 as a clubhouse for employees of the United Shoe Manufacturing Company. This beautiful Arts and Crafts building is on both the National Register of Historic Places, and the Massachusetts Register of Historic Places and the property is currently used for golf, tennis and functions. The building’s exterior was urgently in need of repairs to the stucco, gutters, chimneys and windows.
Gienapp Architects restored the historic windows, rebuilt the masonry chimneys, repaired the stucco and replaced the building’s roof. Upon completion of this work, the City of Beverly then engaged Gienapp Architects to give the building better interior accessibility. Our team developed cost-effective solutions that maintained historic features and floorplan of the building by installing a series of lifts and re-configuring the function hall level to host accessible restrooms. This entire project was coordinated with the Massachusetts Historical Commission and the Massachusetts Architectural Access Board to obtain approvals and variances to reach a creative solution that satisfied both entities.
The Chapel of St. Gabriel the Archangel was built in 1903 by Lewis and Anna Smith Day as a non-denominational space in Highland Cemetery in Norwood, Massachusetts. The building was showing signs of deterioration due to water infiltration, and Gienapp Architects was brought in to determine how the Town should proceed.
Gienapp Architects performed a thorough study to determine the cause of the water infiltration before designing and conducting repairs. A careful study of the masonry was made, and a detailed report was prepared with recommendations for repair ranked in order of urgency. Following this, Gienapp Architects designed and oversaw the repair and restoration of both interior and exterior masonry, as well as restoration of the stained glass windows and copper lantern on the chapel turret.